DISH is organizing its first International Medical Service in Haiti planned for the last weekend of May 2012. Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals, including those who were present during the days after the earthquake, are being called to join this humanitarian effort and help DISH reach this critical milestone.
When: May 24-28, 2012
Focus: General primary care & medical education seminars
- Depart from Miami, FL to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Thurs. May 24.
- Return to Miami Monday, May 28.
- Work days may 25, 26
- May 27 visit Jacmel
The purpose of this trip is:
- primary care in a public hospital setting in Haiti.
- to provide practical medical education seminars on selected topics to Haitian allied health providers who are now working as first responders in tent cities and camps.
We will have two groups of providers in the field. They will provide 2 full days of volunteer work. Their services will alternate between:
- Primary care clinic in a public hospital.
- Medical education seminars in selected camps/hospitals.
Who can participate?
- Medical Doctors from all medical specialties. Preferred specialties are internal medicine, infectious diseases, cardiology, pulmonary, family medicine, pediatrics, dentists, emergency medicine.
- Nurses , Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Associates
- Other healthcare professionals
Note: REGISTRATION CLOSED. Please contact us at email@example.com if you’re interested in joining future missions.
- Beverlin Allen, RN, PhD (Chief Nursing Officer, Sister Emmanuel Hospital)
- Salah Amer, MD (Cardiology, University of Miami, Mercy and North Shore Hospitals)
- Amy Anderson, RN
- Rosemarie Barnett, RN
- Shed Boren, PhD ( CEO for Sister Emmanuel Hospital)
- Clarens Bivens, PharmD ( University of Miami Hospital)
- Jose J Centurion, MD (Cardiology, Mercy, Doctors Hospital, North Shore Hospital)
- Mytchell Chancy, RN, DON
- Marcos Chertman, MD (Endocrinology, University of Miami Hospital)
- Kansky DeLisma, MD (Internal Medicine, University of Miami Hospital, Mount Sinai & Mercy Hospital
- Marie DeLisma, RN
- Jean Pierre Dodel, Msc. Photographer. DISH Technology & Creative Director
- Rev. Gabriel Ghanoum ( Vice-Chairman of the board ofTrustees, Sister Emmanuel Hospital)
- Fred Grynberg, MD (Pulmunology, Universtity of Miami , Mercy, North Shore Hospitals)
- Catherine Josma, RN
- Claire Larsen, RN
- Marjorie Mompoint, RN
- Kostiya Peki, MD (Internal Medicine, Baptist Hospital )
- Ronald Reyna, MD ( Plastic Surgery, Mercy, Sister Emmanuel, University of Miami Hospitals)
- Jidlyne Remy, RN
- Patrick Romeus, MD (Internal Medicine, Tenet Health System)
- Sherry White, RN
- Each volunteer traveler agrees to pay for his or her own travel tickets as well as room and board.
- We will stay in same hotel.
- We will try to find group discount rates with airlines and hotels.
- Supplies Needed. Each participant will make an effort to collect and bring supply from the following list.
List of needed supplies/equipment for the service
- Blood pressure cuffs
- Tongue depressors
- Glucometers & test strips
- Hand sanitizer
- Adhesive Tape
- Alcohol swabs
- Disposable gowns
Medicines Needed: (we can only accept unexpired medications in sealed containers)
- Antiacid medications
- Cough medicine
- Anti-fungal medicine (Lotrimin or other otc athletes foot meds)
- Permethrin 5%
- Antibiotic ointments
- Benadryl (tabs & children’s liquid)
- 1 % hydrocortisone cream or other prescription steroid cream
- Antibiotics (Amoxicillin, Keflex, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Augmentin, etc)
- Antiparasites (flagyl, mebendazole…)
- PinX (otc pinworm medicine)
- Antibiotic eye drops
- Inhalers (albuterol, atrovent, flovent, advair)
- Prednisone oral tablets and liquid
- Electrolyte replacement solution – powder pedialyte or generic
- Medical tape
- Blood pressure medicines
- Diabetes oral medication
- Regular Insulin
To donate any of the above medicines and/or supplies, please send them to:
Attn: Dr. Kostiya Peki
9000 sw 152 nd street Suite 105
Palmetto Bay, FL, 33157
Share and Enjoy